Sunday, September 25, 2005

Mr. B and I spent the morning together on Friday, going to Egide to get his pay automatically deposited. We expected a long wait, like last time (6 hours), but were pleasantly surprised when it only took about 20 minutes. We got him a haircut (he was very relieved when he didn't come out looking like he'd been hit over the head with a hedgetrimmer), did some walking and looking around in the 10th arrondissment, and then went out for pizza closer to home for lunch. It was a great morning. In the afternoon, I did some grocery shopping, including a hairy moment with the check card. It didn't work, and I didn't have enough cash, and I had to start my new job in about 20 minutes (and it was a 10 minute walk away). PANIC! But, like I've read, once you're in with the french, you're in. The teller stopped everything to help me make it work, closed his line to new customers, and involved another teller as well. He even ran with me to a cash machine (which of course was out of service.) When I told the 2nd teller that the card had worked with her just 2 days before, she was determined to make the dumb thing work. She rubbed it on her shirt multiple times, and kept putting it through the machine. She got it to work, and I made it to work in time. Hallelujah!

The girls I babysit for are great, and I really enjoyed my first day with them. We read books and played music and P. played "football" (American Soccer). I think I am really going to like sitting for them, because I am already looking forward to tomorrow. They are really nice kids!

Yesterday, we attempted to hook up with our friend S. from Slovenia, but unfortunately we just ended up playing a lot of techno-tag. We did head up to the Museum of Science and Industry for a while (looking for her in vain--that place is huge!), and then came home and relaxed for the rest of the evening. We are hoping to connect with her sometime this week. (S, if you are reading this, please email or call!)

Today, we got up and headed to the Marché des Puces at the Porte de Vanves. Paris is known for its flea markets, and I was amazed at the variety of stuff they had. I avoided the temptation to buy anything, though (when we actually have furniture, I will start to think about sprucing up the place, but the earliest IKEA will be ready to deliver is Wednesday, so I wait again.) But, saw lots of neat ideas that got my creative juices flowing. Dr. B said he saw "just a lot of junk"--I guess he has used up his creative juices for the weekend.

Dr. B did get a bunch of little household projects done this weekend. Our clothesline is officially functional! It's a handy-dandy, 5 line pull-out-from-the-wall jobbie, and retracts so it's not in the way all the time. Dr. B also installed some hanging dish racks in the kitchen (à la IKEA), so our precious foot of counterspace is free once more. Yipee! You have to be creative when your whole apartment is only 27 meters squared (That's about 290 square feet.) When we finally have furniture (that's a hint, IKEA delivery people) things will start to really feel homey. Then I can head back to the flea market for some cool objets d'art!

After the flea market, we spent some time walking around the Boulevard du Montparnasse area. Since it's Sunday, much was closed, but we enjoyed walking in the beautiful fall sunshine. Lots of cafés and restaurants, and lots and lots of tourists in the area. Stopped in at Starbucks for a coffee, and took home some to make tomorrow. Though the "café normale" at the cafés is often good, the grocery store coffee is sadly lacking, and I need coffee to get me out of the house in the morning (trust me, this is not a want. It is definitely a need.) We are hoping this will be better, though we have our doubts (it may be a little old.) Some of the greatest food in the world, just steps from our door, and the coffee, sigh, is awful.

Aw well. We can't have it all, can we?

_________________________________________________

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, September 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronica,
why don't you post some pictures of your apartment building and apartment! And Lucy and Jeff too!

 
At 6:05 PM, October 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Lavazza coffee. It's Italian and you can find it at Monoprix and other smaller markets. It's really great (Italian) coffee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home