Thursday, September 22, 2005


Yesterday was interesting. After a bout with another migraine (I think I OD'd on the internet--when you've starved for 2+ weeks, it's hard not to), I slept in and then decided to go to central Paris to look for a wedding gift for a friend (hi Jaime!) First problem was that my hairdryer was non-functional, so I had to leave the house with soaking wet hair to go buy one (this is not done in Paris--I was prepared for dirty looks.) So, I put my hair up in a clip and grabbed the dog. I figure, if I walk into Darty (the french version of Circuit City) in the mall with a 60-lb. dog on a leash, no one will pay attention to my wet hair. I was right. Got the hairdryer (and a good one!) and headed home to blow dry, eat, and plan for the day.
Left to head to Galeries Lafayette department store near the Paris Opera. It was a fairly quick metro ride, and when I exited the station, I walked smack dab into the National School of Music. HUGE building with big gold statues on the top and lots of fancy stonework. (See photo above.) A bit much for my taste, but I'm not french. I would have used the gold to pay for more musical instruments, instead!



I walked a few blocks to the department store. Amazing. Everything from 3 euro egg cups to 2,000 euro handbags and up, up up! Dior, Chanel, Cartier, Tiffany's, Hermès, Louis Vuitton--unbelievable. There was a line of about 35 Japanese tourists just to get INTO Louis Vuitton. I yi yi. The photo below is inside the department store. This is the makeup area. Makes Marshall Field's look pretty shabby, huh?



I was a bit overwhelmed. So I walked across the street to their home store, picked out a nice gift (and a pillow for me, and some baggies for Lucy's walks) and got ready to head home. Saw they had Jelly Belly jelly beans. Woo hoo! Got quite excited, but then found that they didn't carry "Margarita"--the best flavor on earth IMO--and was disappointed. They did have "prune". Very french. No thank you. I'll just skip the prune.


Came home and Dr. B stepped in a few minutes after me. Dinner, more internet, and then to bed. A good day.

Today, I am going to a wine and cheese tasting at the author Harriet Welty Rochefort's home. I am pretty excited--more chances to eat! I better get moving, speaking of... more to come...

NOTE: The french word for plum is prune--an American prune is a "prune seché" (dried). I am fine with plums, but was not in the mood for them in jellybean form. I wanted a Margarita jellybean and that's all there was to it. So no jelly bellys for me, I'm afraid.

Pictures worked today, so this post is updated.

_________________________________________________

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prune flavored Jelly Bellys?? I think that sounds awful! BUT... I know someone (Gma B) who would probably enjoy some new and interesting flavors as a Christmas gift! Your cuz in Williston ND.

 
At 10:27 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, call me crazy but I like prunes! (It's the Grama Lillie in me).

We are enjoying your Blog Ronnie - it sounds like a fun adventure!! :0)

*hugs!*
D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home