Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Be Proud of Me

Be proud of me. I went into the Cave all by myself.

That sounds a little weird, I know. The cave is a storage unit in
the basement (pronounced "cahve"--rhymes with "blob"). Many
apartments have them, and it is about the size of your average
bathroom. What is different, however, is that ours is 2 floors below
the ground, and the lights are on timers, like they are in all the
hallways, etc. in most french apartment buildings and hotels. So if
you are there too long, it can go out and you are left in pitch
black, musty, dank darkness, with only a faint glow from the light
switch to guide you. This happened last time I was down there, and
I seriously freaked out. (My cousins and aunt and uncle will
remember me in the South Dakota caves--my knees shook like jello. I
do not like being below ground, unless there is a window. And
carpet. And a TV and a couch.)

So today, when I was all alone, 2 floors below the streets of Paris,
I devised a plan. As often as I could, I pushed the light switch
(every single one I saw), loaded the stuff into the cave in about 4
seconds flat, and locked the door. Then, I booked down the hallway
(pressing every light switch as I went) and pounded on the elevator
button. I was very relieved when the elevator came quickly, and I
pressed the 1 and shot up 3 floors. I made it out without the light
going out even once.

That took a lot of guts.

I think I deserve a cookie. :)

_________________________________________________

4 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, October 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I remember you in South Dakota. :) Luckily your aunt was also not impressed with caves, and was more than willing to take you back to the gift shop to wait for us.
Your Cuz in Williston, ND

 
At 3:18 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Ronica said...

Flashlight, smashlight. We can't even find a Sharpie marker, much less a "torchon"--but regardless, there should be lights 20 feet below the street!

It wouldn't matter anyway--I hate caves! Like my cousin said--Aunt J and I went shopping instead. Much better. Thankfully, she was scared too (or at least pretended to be, for my sake!)

I was absolutely terrified at Rushmore Caves, even though I knew, rationally, that nothing would happen. Didn't matter. I couldn't have stopped my knees from knocking with a bucket of cement. I guess that's instinct, or something.

Irrational, yes, but there's nothing I can do about it. Thankfully there are not too many instances where it is necessary to go way below ground with no lights. At least not while I'm alive. :)

 
At 10:45 PM, October 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve a whole DOZEN cookies and some chocolate too! I am proud of you!!

 
At 3:17 AM, October 12, 2005, Blogger PutYourFlareOn said...

Yeah, you deserve a cookie for that! We've been living in our current apt for nearly two years now and I have YET to go to the cave. I send my husband to do that for me... it's too scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home