Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Bones

Note: Dogs love bones.

But DogMoms don't love cleaning up the next day when said dog gets
sick because she swallowed some bone chips.

Stupid stupid stupid. I should have known better!

Must be not my day because I also broke the thing that you turn to
raise and lower the iron curtain on our window.

American friends are utterly confused at this moment--I'll explain.
We did not move to Siberia.

In Paris (and I believe elsewhere as well in France) people actually
use their shutters every day. Windows are right on the street and
people are out there all the time, so we shut the shutters to block
out the sun, block out noise, keep out robbers (burgle + ers keeps
getting nixed by my spell check. How do you spell burglers anyway?)
etc. On new buildings, sometimes it is a metal curtain type thing
that rolls up into the window casing during the day. Fancy places
have electric ones where you push a button. Ours has a hand crank.

And I knew, I just knew, that eventually the cheap plastic joint
would snap. And it did. Today.

Luckily, the curtain is up, so at least we have light, but tonight
won't be fun--you can hear what is going on just 10 feet below, and
it makes it hard to sleep. You can hear every word they say and
every step they take. Right now there is a workman doing something
on the building next door who literally whistles while he works.
Loudly. Constantly. But at least he is in tune... Maybe I should
lean out and yell "FREEBIRD!!!"

Perhaps I'll buy a white noise machine.

After all, who's going to break in with a 60-lb. dog sleeping under
the window?

_________________________________________________

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my white noise machine. Josh and I have the same one. $12 at Target; maybe you can find one at a similar store.

 
At 8:30 PM, October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for white noise machines! They are a life saver here in early morning when the planes at the airport insist on starting and warming their engines, very, very early! Then there are the teens who come home, late, late at night. Many hours after I am in bed they decide to drag race down our street. Oh, and it is "burglars." :) Your cuz in Williston, ND

 

Post a Comment

<< Home