Monday, November 14, 2005

Moldy Cave

Well, wouldn't you know.

We have a "cave" (storage unit) in the 2nd basement, but we learned that there's not much you can store down there.

Dr. B is on a business trip to Nice (I've heard it's nice), and last night had to go down to get a small suitcase to pack.

We are lucky he did! We found our luggage (much of it brand-new HUGE suitcases purchased for the move at Boston Store in Madison) beginning to MOLD.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, last night was spent scrubbing off the mold with hot water, soap and bleach, cleaning off all the suitcases with bleach water (just in case) and sniffing bleach fumes. Then ironing and packing the clothes he needs for three days into his Osprey bag (which involved some creative combinations--I still hold to the theory that Garanimals tags should be bought and applied to the clothing of the matchically-challenged.)

Yay. Like we have tons of room in this apartment to store large suitcases.

So he's off, and I'm a single dog-mom for a few days. We have plans for a big Thanksgiving dinner this weekend with the gang, so will be busy planning for that, as well as reading, ironing (still) and hopefully knitting. I now have done 2 inches without frogging the whole project, so I am pretty proud of that.

On Thursday, we are going to hear Louise Attaque at the Olympia. The drummer's mom is our landlady, and is getting us in to see them. She says they are "the best band in France!" It will be our first french rock concert, so it should be interesting.


Hmmm...come to think of it...in the above post there are two ideas for a new enterprise for me. Growing my very own cheese in the cave, and marketing "Garanimals" tags to sell so people can label the clothes of their matchically challenged friends/family members.

Hey, I'm gonna be a millionaire!

_________________________________________________

5 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, November 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. B,

I enjoy reading your blog. I'm a French professor at a university in Wisconsin. You have a link to the AltaVista translation site on your main page, and I wanted to suggest a better link to you because AltaVista is the worst. (I know this because of experience with my students.) If one needs to look something up fast on the Internet, go with the online dictionary: http://www.wordreference.com

I lived in Paris for several years, and I'm so glad you're enjoying it. It's like my second home. I look forward to reading more!

Sincerely,
Kat

 
At 2:49 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger Ronica said...

Thanks! I use this one as well. (Although it couldn't help me much when I needed to go to the hair dresser!)

I have only used Alta Vista for checking my notes before mailing them (it does usually pick up things like missed s's at the end of words, or when I spell something totally wrong.) I mainly did it for family/friends who might check out a french site and have no idea what it means--not for homework, natch! :)

Mme. Hebe Shipp (at Fargo North HS) and Prof. André LeBugle (at UND) would have my head on a wooden platter for that one!

Glad you are enjoying reading. I'm trying not to complain too much (though the mold got me going.)

Feel free to send tips--good, inexpensive restaurants are always welcome!

 
At 3:30 PM, November 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again Mrs. B.,

Yes, I completely agree that wordreference.com wouldn't help with getting one's hair cut! True :) There are small 'every day usage' dictionaries out there that you could carry around with you. If you need titles, do let me know. I could send you my email address if you want (I'm nervous about having it published on the internet though; if you could edit out my email before publishing the comment--I noticed you moderate the comments--I would be happy to share it with you).

I have LOTS of restaurant tips. What kinds of food do you like?

A great, very romantic thing to do--perhaps in the spring if it's too cold now--is to take a night cruise on the Seine. The last one in the fall leaves the Eiffel Tower at 10pm, I believe. In the spring it's 11pm.

Best,
Kat

 
At 3:36 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger Ronica said...

Send your email to me, and I won't publish it. Then I can respond and you can email me directly.

I agree--I don't want my email on the internet either!!!

Yeah, and I couldn't find anything that told me how to tell them my hair is extremely straight and the cut will be exactly as they do it--there's no bounce or curl whatsoever. But I worried that "droit" might be the wrong word--and I might be telling them that my hair would like to vote or something. ;)

One day, while working with P, one of my young charges, she started banging her head with a book when she got something wrong in her music lesson. I asked her to stop because I didn't want her to have pain on her head-- but forgot the word "douleur"--all I could think of was "Il vaut la peine" but I pronounced it more like "le pain" and she howled with laughter at me telling her not to have "bread on my head"!

She has gotten much better with helping me with my French since this incident, but looks forward to my mistakes so much!

 
At 3:48 AM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Andie said...

This comment is actually for Kat- do you know Dr. Busby? He's a medieval French lit. prof. at U of Wisc Madison. If you do, tell him Andie in Paris says 'hi' (I'm one of his former students.) Sorry, Mrs. B for leaving this comment on your site!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home