Sunday, November 27, 2005

Real Thanksgiving

When we moved here, I knew it wouldn't all be easy, but I also knew that I was very lucky to be moving to Paris. So few people get this chance, and there are so many wonderful things to discover.

Today, though, I am finding it hard to be here, right now, though I would probably feel this way no matter where in the world I was. There are a lot of things that have been weighing on me lately--seeing friends faced with great losses in their lives, wishing I could help somehow, seeing relationships end, and realizing when there is nothing left to do or to say.

Add to that the beginning of winter, so little sunlight, cold feet and drippy noses--not much to raise my spirits.

I guess I've hit the homesick phase, too--missing family and friends far away, longing for traditions, tastes, smells that remind me of home and of who I am, who I've become.

At the same time, I am learning about who I really am, and what I really cherish. I am reminded, by those who matter, that I am important in their lives. I receive notes from students who write to tell me that life has gone on, but they still miss my presence. I hear from old friends who are anxiously awaiting the time we will have together soon. And I look, and there by my side, is the one friend who is always there for me.

And I know that I am truly loved.

_________________________________________________

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, November 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. B.,
You've been there just long enough to realize that you're not on vacation, and that's when the homesickness sets in. Plus, we just had a big family-oriented holiday here in the U.S., and I'm sure that weighs on you, too. Hang in there. As my mom often says, "This, too, shall pass." One thing I highly recommend is the hot chocolate at a cafe called "the Rostand"(Rostard?) right near the Jardin du Luxembourg. If you're in the garden, head to the main door on the Blvd St. Michel (the door that faces the Panthéon). Turn left, and it's right there on the corner of the Blvd St. Michel and Rue de Medicis, I believe. GREAT hot chocolate and a SUPER spot for people watching, especially now around the holidays. Another trick is the movies. I lived near Montparnasse, and the movie theaters there were, for some time, my best friends :) Hang in there, Kat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home