Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Where I've Been

First, thanks for all the 'get well soons'--the day off really did a world of good, and I felt better by that evening, enough to take a long walk with Dr. B and the dog in the Butte aux Cailles area near our house. It was either stoppable sickness with rest, or a migraine that I also stopped with rest. I don't care which--I am just glad to feel better.

I haven't been posting much lately, because I didn't know how interesting my learning to knit (yes, me who couldn't crochet or embroider to save her life), yarn shopping with my new buds, walking the dog a lot, and just generally shopping would be. (Well, I find shopping terribly interesting, but I don't know if it's worth blogging about!) Today was a national holiday, All Saints' Day (after a pitiful and sad Halloween, that made me miss terribly the commercial overboardness of American holidays). Supposedly, people go to the cemetaries to lay flowers on everyone's grave today. We celebrated by sleeping until 11, eating omlettes, and shopping. When I have him home, I gotta get him out--Dr. B is not fun to shop with, and when he needs stuff and says "OK, let's go"--I know to go right now!!! Found him 3 pair of pants, a sweater, a long sleeve ribbed T and some boots. We also love that most of the men here are his size, so finding pants that fit him is much easier. All his American pants look so baggy in the legs now, he can't stand wearing them.

Anyway, he mailed off 2 job applications yesterday, and is working on a third, so we are hoping something will come up. It is pretty common to do 2 post-docs, so he may not get something this year, but it's worth a try. That's why he didn't "faire le pont"--do the bridge. This is pretty common in France--when there is a holiday on a Thursday or Tuesday, you have a choice to take the Friday or Monday as well and make it a 4-day weekend. Dr. B is just too American I guess, and couldn't stand the idea of wasting a day when he could be working. Too bad he doesn't get paid hourly.

Tomorrow is my last full day off before the kids return from their vacation. I may get my hair cut (needed, desperately) and if I get really ambitious, go do the IKEA run. Thursday night is my 2nd KNOTS meeting (my girlfriends get together at Starbucks at Les Halles to drink sugary concoctions, knit and talk), and I will likely start my first project then. I am looking for lots of help from the other ladies, but am in love with the Alpaca Silk yarn I got at Le Bon Marché. Scarlet and Black--should be gorgeous. IF I can manage do learn how to do it---we'll see. I am sure it will be something to laugh about, eventually. I am hoping my Mom's domesticity genes will come out through those needles!

_________________________________________________

2 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun....the knitting, coffee. There are a lot of the knitting/coffee shops poppin up all over here. They even have little play areas for the kids. Know what you mean about the hrly pay...Jon always said if he got paid by the hr when in practice he would have made a fortune!! Don't miss those 12-14 hr days at all!! Auntie B

 
At 9:20 PM, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to read that you guys are doing so well over there.
Knitting is such a craze these days. If you have any questions once you get started, feel free to email me. I've been knitting for 20+ years. I even have a knitting blog, check it out! Once in a while I have some baby pics too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home