Monday, December 12, 2005

Stinky Fridge 2

Attack of the stinky cheese man has happened again in our fridge. I am not so sure which is the culprit this time, though it could be the ancient Morbier. However, they seem to taste so much better when they get stinkier, that I don't have the courage to throw them out.

Thus, last night, I thought I'd really come up with a great idea.

I took out a used yogurt cup, washed it carefully, dried it and added a tablespoon of ground coffee.

'Perfect!' I thought. 'The coffee will absorb the odors, and smell like good coffee. How could I be wrong?'

Well, I am, once again.

Now our fridge smells like old coffee grounds AND poopy cheese. Kind of a mélange of dirty diaper and exploding kitchen garbage can.

Crap.

Note***= If anyone feels the need to send a care package our way, please include about 10 plain (non-self-lighting) charcoal briquettes. I am afraid that is all that will work, and unfortunately, I have no access to them here in Paris.


*******UPDATE:

Had a cheese course with dinner tonight. Found out the Sognier Chevre that was so un-chevre-y was the reason the fridge stank. It also had ripened to the point of being weirdly peppery and tasting just kind of awful. Into the poubelle it went, along with an emmental that tasted like rubberall. But, the vielle comté was delish, and the Brillat-Saverin once again did not disappoint. Creamy and light and tangy (just slight)--this cheese is Super Fantastic!

Oh, and I've found that charcoal works much better than bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) as a fridge deoderizer. 2 or 3 Briquettes in a coffee mug at the back--change maybe once a year, and no stink. Dr. B can explain the chemistry, but I really just care that the fridge is fresh.

_________________________________________________

4 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get charcoal, and you can also buy baking soda and put THAT in the fridge... that works. They also sell those little egg shaped fridge deodorizers... Your local ATAC/Monoprix/Champion/ should have that...and now, you should buy a special box for cheese only, which is what we do. La Redoute also sells one with a special thingy on it, but regular Tupperware-type stuff works just fine.

 
At 11:48 AM, December 12, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

I can totally sympathize with the stinky cheese fridge. My kids think we're revolting to eat stuff that smells like that.
More for us.
Bon Chance!

 
At 12:11 PM, December 12, 2005, Blogger Katia said...

We use bicarbonate soda too (i think that's what the previous commenter means by baking soda?), and it really makes a difference - just put a little bit in an open jar and it will almost absorb the odours.
We also have a special box just for cheese that makes life a whole lot easier ;)

 
At 4:44 PM, December 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwa ha ha!! I always know I can go to your Blog to cheer me up on a gloomy Day Mrs. B!! :D
Thanks!
Your Cuz in the Windy City

 

Post a Comment

<< Home