Friday, January 20, 2006

Do I look fat in these pants?

It bothered me all day.

My all-time favorite, charcoal grey wool, elegant, beautiful, drapey lovely pants were not so drapey. They fit, but not like they used to. Not like they did last week.

Hubby called, and I asked the question, the ones men have learned there is only one answer to if you want to save your marriage.

"Am I fat?"

"No! Of course not! You are so dazzling...I was just thinking about how beautiful you are, now more than ever!"

With only a few minutes to get where I was going, I decided to just deal with it. I had to walk to the bus stop, and a ways after that, and figured it must be just water.

Dazzling. Be dazzling. Not fat. Dazzling.

Went to see "Pride and Prejudice" with some of my KNOTs buddies, plus another friend. It came out Wednesday in France, with the unwieldy title, "Orgeuil et Préjudgé". We planned to meet at the mk2 at the Bibliothèque François Mitterand at 10:45 for the 11 AM show, followed by lunch out.

I vowed to eat very little. And drink water. Lots and lots of water.

We enjoyed the movie. Mr. Darcy was dreamy, and the actor quite did him justice. None of us were offended that he wasn't Colin Firth, though we still maintain him as our favorite. Dame Judi Dench was a scream. The directing was interesting, although a bit over-sentimental for my taste, and the set decoration was very intriguing. The only real faults we found were that it wasn't as close to the book as the A&E version (with Mr. Firth), the ending was a bit, well, lacking, and of course, Miss Kiera Knightly.

Kiera, Kiera, Kiera. I have the overwhelming urge to shove a cupful of peanut butter in her mouth, for 2 Reasons:

1. She looks like a lollipop. Her head is huge and she is a stick twig cobweb. No one who lived on an estate in England at that time and had nothing to occupy them but walks in the country, bad piano playing, and giggling with her sisters combined with the rich, heavy English food could possibly look like that. If I sneezed near her, I am pretty sure she would snap in two. (This, plus the unfortunate state of myself in my pants, made me quite disgruntled.)

2. She never seems to shut her mouth. Her lips, teeth--overwhelming. Horsey. And never, ever closed. My mother would have said, "Do you want to catch flies? Close your mouth, for Pete's sake. You look stupid with your jaw hanging open like that." (Do you hear me, Kiera?)

This left us much to discuss, so after the movie, we looked for a suitable place for lunch. Tastey, not smokey, not expensive. We ended up at Class'Croute. I enjoyed a sandwich, yogurt and Evian, and wished I could eat a ladylike salad and be skinny and french and fit into a size 2, but I was just too hungry, and the salads didn't look that great, and besides, I didn't eat anything at the movie so that counts, right?

The lunch was enjoyable. The friends were enjoyable. I did a little window shopping at the Soldes on the way home, which was enjoyable.

But I couldn't forget.

The pants. My favorite pants.

My "make me feel like Katherine Hepburn" pants.

Sigh.


Spent the rest of the afternoon as usual, babysitting the girls, listening to their piano while I knit, reading. Came home, made dinner. (Not salad. At this point, I had pretty much given up on the size 2 for today.)

Then, I went to change into my comfy, fuzzy pajama track suit to prepare for some borrowed Black Adder before bed.

And lo and behold.

These aren't my favorite pants.

They're the other ones. The ones that fit, but just.

I'm not fat!

Well, at least not any fatter than last week.

Hallelujah!!!!! Wa-HOOO!!!! Yippeeeeeee!!!!!!!



Like I said before, sometimes it's the little things that can make you so very, very happy.

_________________________________________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home