Saturday, January 14, 2006

Do you want some advice?

The sales are on in Paris--this only happens twice a year, regulated by the Mairie, or town hall. Stores are not allowed to have other sales, though they can have "Promotions", but now is the time when things are really marked down. It is a big event, and people take days off from work to shop because it is so important.

So, I've been looking for a coat, in more earth tones. My coats are black, black and grey, and I'd like another, though didn't want to spend full price, so now is the time. I've kept my eye out, but haven't yet found "the one".

So yesterday, after grabbing groceries at our local Champion, I took 2 minutes to run in to Zara, to check if they had a certain coat in my size. They didn't have the beige one, but did have the brown, so I decided to put it on, just to see. I wasn't in love with it anyway, so didn't think I'd get it, but it was worth the 30 seconds it would take to unbutton the thing, before heading home to take Lucy for a walk.

An older woman who was also looking at the rack began eyeing me. As I worked to undo the 47 buttons on the espresso-brown peacoat, she started to look a bit agitated. She was pawing through the black ones, but not paying attention to what she was doing. Clearly, she could not just stand there. Someone may need her help!

She asked if I would like some advice.

Reluctantly, I said OK. (I mean, what would you say? No???)

"That coat is not your color. Doesn't suit you. You should try black or gray or red."

"Oh, well. Hm. Um. It's OK, it's a bit too tight around the arms anyway, and I like to wear sweaters under my coat. So I wasn't going to buy this one."

"What size?"

"Oh, um. Grand. Uh... Large. L."

"OK. I'll find it in another color. They'll have an XL."

"No, it's OK, it's not a big deal."

"But it will suit you much better! These colors are better for you!"

"No, Ce n'est pas grave."

"I know they will have it in that size!" she exclaimed rather triumphantly, and dove back into the sea of black wool.

I snatched my bags from the floor and ran from the store, frantically attempting to zip up my black leather coat (the one I got at Target for all of 30 bucks.)

Lesson learned: Never willingly accept fashion advice from a woman with hair the same color as Animal from the Muppets.

_________________________________________________

3 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, January 14, 2006, Blogger KathyMac said...

i thnk i've seen that woman!!!

 
At 9:32 PM, January 14, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds like something I've done! LOL of course not in Paris....

 
At 11:31 AM, January 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but I love animal...

the soldes for the record bring out the crazies :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home