Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sick Food

Sorry for the delay in posting the comments yesterday. I was socked with a whopper of a migraine, and was unable to look at the little glowing screen.

My girls helped me, though, by letting me lay in the salon, covering me with the comforter from P's bed, and checking on me to make sure I was still alive and breathing.

When I got home, Dr. B was also in a sorry state. French Cold #2 has hit him with a vengeance. We headed to the pharmacy for some help. Came home with Actifed Jour et Nuit. Unfortunately, the Nuit kept him up most of the night, so I think he is going to return to the DayQuil Dad sent from ND, and suffer through the nights without meds. I will be suffering, too, as he snores like a bandsaw when he has a cold.

After we got the meds, we headed to the grocery store to get something easy for dinner (the trout I had planned just looked like too much work--pizza seemed just the ticket) and something tasty to drink.

I got to thinking.

When sick, no matter where in the world you are, all you want is something comforting, like you got from your Mom when you were sick as a kid.

Nothing else seems to do the same thing.

And for me, I had a hankering for 7up.

When I was little, and sick, Mom would make a bed on the sofa for me. She'd lay down towels, fluff pillows, and cover me with several blakets. On the floor next to the couch was an empty ice cream pail (just in case I couldn't make it to the bathroom to be sick), and usually the dog would curl up behind my knees, or on the floor next to the sofa. She'd turn on the TV for us, because she knew that both my sister and I would rather be at school, so we weren't staying home to watch the paltry offerings on the 4 channels we received out there in the boonies of North Dakota. The noise of the bad 80's game shows and "Days of Our Lives" would keep us from going nuts from boredom. Then, on my TV tray, I would find 7up (with a straw), a dish with a wet washcloth in it (for my forehead), and "sick food."

For us, sick food was buttered white toast, saltine crackers, jello, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. If we had a cold, too, it would include orange juice or Kool-Aid (for the Vitamin C.)

These are still the things I want when I am feeling under the weather.

And last night, we found it.

7up Light, at our local Champion grocery store.

I got 2 bottles.

_________________________________________________

9 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Ksam said...

You mean, you didn't get PBS too?? We got it on clear days. *S* I know, I hated sick days as a kid, daytime tv on NBC, FOX, CBS, and ABC was SO boring.

And I don't remember if you ever answered me or not, did you grow up in GF?

 
At 8:27 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Ronica said...

I'm not counting Fox. It didn't exist at the time. The big three and PBS was all we got. (I am OLD, though I may not look it.)

I grew up near Fargo. Between Kindred and Davenport, which I doubt you ever heard of, and then in Fargo, from 6th grade through HS graduation.

And no, I don't talk like they do in that movie.

:)

 
At 8:43 AM, January 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had chicken noodle soup and jello when I was sick the other day. You are right..nothing beats sick food!

 
At 9:00 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger KathyMac said...

7up. Chicken Noodle Soup. you are taking me back to my own childhood! BEDS ON THE COUCH! *sighs*

 
At 10:48 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Mel said...

Awww...
Yep 7up (or sometimes Sprite) and soup!!
Being an adult (female) you just don't get that kind of sympathy!!

 
At 9:57 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes! It must be 7up and from the can with a bendy straw. There is something about the straw that makes it more fizzy I think.

Hope your better.

C

 
At 3:04 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Ksam said...

Actually, I have heard of both Kindred and Davenport! I just thought you were from GF, because I remember reading something about Chippers (yum) - we had a Widman's in my town too. We used to go to Fargo all the time, either for soccer matches, skating competitions, shopping at West Acres, or just on a Friday night to see a movie that wasn't available farther up north.

Have you heard the one about the Fertile woman that gave birth while going through Climax on the way to Moorehead? (I know, I know, it's an old, bad joke). ;-)

 
At 4:08 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Ronica said...

Yep, but there's no second "e"--that's the spelling for Moorehead, Kentucky! I remember this distinctly--the Moorheadians were very particular. Kind of like the Bismarckers.

 
At 6:38 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Ksam said...

Oops, sorry, I was typing that out too fast this morning. Sorry to any Moorheadians out there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home