Saturday, March 04, 2006

Étourdie

Thanks for the well wishes--I'm hangin' in there.

Unfortunately, today was a little worse than yesterday. It started with being woken up for breakfast, and promptly fainting on the cold bathroom floor.

Twice.

Dr. B got really scared, called Aimee, and she and Julien came over so Julien could speak to the doctor on the phone, and take me to the hospital if needed. Dr. B was in no way able to be speaking french, and I was, well, sort of unconscious-like. I did have the sense of mind to look up the words for faint (se evanouir) and dizzy (étourdi.)

They went to the pharmacie, got advice and more medecine, and told me to stay in bed and eat mild stuff (like the pavés they brought from our local boulangerie--yum) and try to sleep. They didn't advise going to the hospital if it could be avoided. I guess French emergency rooms are a lot of hurry-up-and-wait, kind of like American ER's (unless you are projectile vomiting. They'll see you then! I guess it freaks people out in the waiting room. Go figure.)

Happily, this afternoon, unlike last night (when for some reason my opera-practicing neighbor felt the urge to belt out her daily exercises at 3:25 AM) I was able to catch several hours of shut-eye.

I still feel pretty horrible, but am conscious and breathing. Tomorrow will be spent in bed as well, and I won't feel guilty at all or try to clean anything, I promise.

In a weird sense of world-karma, my little sis (who is coming to visit us for a week starting Thursday--yay!) also is in bed with the flu, way across the pond in Minneapolis. We're this far away, and yet still connected.

Too bad it's not a connection of chocolate, or free money or something. That would be better.

_________________________________________________

8 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, March 04, 2006, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

drink flat coke, that is the best remedy i know of:)
influenza is much easier to get than free money, chocolate on the other hand, you'll have to treat yourself to lots and lots when your sister comes:o)
kim

 
At 4:13 AM, March 05, 2006, Blogger PutYourFlareOn said...

nice to see an udate, I hope you feel better soon. Call us if you need anything. And yes having a chocolate or money connection would be must better than being sick together! ;)

 
At 11:31 AM, March 05, 2006, Blogger Kat said...

Hang in there, Mrs. B!!

 
At 1:56 PM, March 05, 2006, Blogger Andie said...

Yep, I can attest to the long waits at the emergency room. It's best to avoid when possible!

Glad you are feeling better, you pushed yourself too hard cleaning! Take it easy until your sis gets here, you don't want to be sick for that.

As for me, my head is about to explode from a bad head cold and I am trying to decide if I'm sick enough to get an arrêt maladie for a couple days off work. I could use the rest definitely and can't imagine being on my feet teaching, that must mean I'm sick enough, right?

 
At 12:44 PM, March 06, 2006, Blogger L'Amerloque said...

Hi Mrs B !

Take care of yourself !

er ... um ... Note that in French when you want to say "I'm dizzy" or "My head is spinning", you ought simply to utter "J'ai la tete qui tourne !" The MD or pharmacy person or dentist will understand what you mean. (smile)

The locution "Je suis etourdie" can also mean "I'm a forgetful person" or, on a really bad day, in some situations, "I am brainless", although to be absolutely 100% accurate, the forgetful person will say, strictly speaking, "Je suis _une_ etourdie !" and not simply "Je suis etourdie." You wanna watch that "une" ... (wide smile)

Best,
L'Amerloque

 
At 2:04 PM, March 06, 2006, Blogger Mel said...

Rox was just telling me how you both have been sick.. I hope you feel better soon and can have a great time when she comes.

Melissa (Rox's friend)

 
At 9:57 AM, March 07, 2006, Blogger Eric said...

I was wondering where you went to so glad to check in on you (virtually). Hope you are feeling a little better by now.

 
At 3:49 PM, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you feel good wishes and hugs. Hope your start to feel better soon! Glad to hear your sis is coming soon. I get to see my sis and family next week too! Miss you, be well!
your cuz in Chicago

 

Post a Comment

<< Home