Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Cheese!


Food has seasons. Strawberries in the Spring. Squash in the Fall. Juneberries in July. (Haven't quite figured that one out yet.)

Cheese has its own seasons. I don't know them all yet, but lately I've seen lots of yummy blue cheeses appearing in the cheese shops, markets, and supermarkets. I decided to try a new one*, Fourme d'Ambert, and was won over immediately by its mild creaminess. This is one bleu cheese that even the most picky of eaters could eat (providing we mash in the blue moldy bits, of course).

So, of course, I went and did a Google Search, and lo and behold! I found a whole site, in English no less, dedicated to French Cheese.

Yippee!!!

(I linked it in my sidebar, for your convenience.)



* New to me, but not new! Fourme d'Ambert is one of the oldest French cheeses, and they believe it goes back to Druid times! Now that's some old cheese.

** Note: this site only lists a few cheeses. I believe in was General De Gaulle who said, "Who can rule a country that produces over 700 types of cheese?" or something to that effect. The person who makes a site listing all the cheeses in France would probably deserve some sort of Nobel Prize or something (do they have a Nobel Cheese Prize?) Anyway, this has several, but only a smattering. Of course, it will also sell you the ones they have (such is the way.) Enjoy!

_________________________________________________

5 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger KathyMac said...

i think it was actually 200 hundred something...

blue cheese.
mmmmm.

:)

 
At 12:38 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

YUM!
We have a French Fromagier(?sp)about 30 minutes from here that makes the most delicious sheep's milk cheese. OMG I can taste them now. Since the sheep have had their babies last month or so, the mamans are making milk for ze cheese.

WOOT!

 
At 2:07 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Katia said...

my FIL talks about a different cheese for every day of the year plus some. hehe.
Fourme d'ambert is divine when it's grilled. just divine. one of my favourite snacks - i think i even blogged about the joys of grilled fourme d'ambert once ;) hehe.

 
At 2:03 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger rickemmanuel said...

Fourme d'ambert, my favorite cheese with a glass(bottle?) of bordeaux or pinot noir. I'm lucky I can find it here in San Francisco.

 
At 7:53 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Joannah said...

Oh, my... I do love blue cheese!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home