Sunday, August 06, 2006

Movers? **Updated

HELP! To all former expats: I need help finding someone who can ship some stuff back for us.

We would rather ship our click-clack, 2 dressers, 2 tables and assorted boxes/baggage back, rather than sell it for peanuts. These are things that we can use back in Madison, and since the company that Dr. B is doing research with is helping us with moving costs, we want to look into taking these things with us. The bed, for example, set us back about 800 euros (worth it, because it is so comfortable) but we know we would only be able to sell it for about 200 euros.

We contacted the recommended Mayflower company, but they only ship larger moves.

Do you have a suggestion that you've used and had good results with? These aren't things we need overnight, but within a month or two would be good.

If you have any suggestions, please comment! Thanks. :)

UPDATED*** We got an estimate (Cap Transit; they were very professional), got it approved (yay!), and we're good to go. AND we get to take our furniture back with us, which is much nicer than selling it for 1/10 of what we paid for it. So, if we should be bombarded with friends visiting us in Madison, we'll have enough actual beds to sleep 6 extra people, plus one very short person or child on the love seat. Wow! Holiday Inn's got nothing on us... and they don't have the added service of doggie-kiss wake up calls.

_________________________________________________

7 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't give you any specific recommendations but if you Google "international relocation moving companies" you'll get a lot to choose from, in the event you can't get any referrals from expats who've shipped things Stateside. Good luck, and let us know who you use, because I may need them when I move to Paris (I will also need to only ship a few pieces of furniture and boxes).

 
At 3:34 PM, August 06, 2006, Blogger Kat said...

I found a shipping co. in the FUSAC. I just found the receipt...It's called JM Air Freight. The number I have (from several years ago) is 01 48 62 13 25. They did a great job, and my stuff arrived home before I did!!

 
At 8:49 AM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid you're up to your ears in packing and nonsense, but i've been an avid reader of your post for about six months now. I'm coming over to Paris in a month and was after any suggestions for cheap cheap accomodation - my sister and i are coming to see balenciaga at the musee du modes but everywhere seems to be in montmatre - any ideas? Hope you're not drowning in boxes, and that you have two minutes to spare to suggest a pearl or two!
Love H

 
At 9:27 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Ronica said...

There are several small hotels in our neighborhood that are inexpensive (65+ euros) Mom and Pop run places. One a friend stayed at, called the Hotel des Arts, was lovely--charming, clean, very modern bathrooms, and the staff was very nice.

Check them out at
http://www.hotels-paris.fr/fr/hotel/ESCP-Des-Arts.htm

I live at the Place d'Italie, which is a hub for lines 5,6 and 7. Musee de Mode is (I think) at Trocadero, which is accessible by taking line 6. This is an awesome location because it's out of the tourist area (so more bakeries, groceries, etc. and less stupid eiffel tower tshirts and generally cheaper), and it's on 3 metro lines and it has a big mall right on it. If you speak a little french or have been here before and understand the metro, you're gold, and it's less expensive.

Enjoy your trip!

 
At 12:30 PM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. B.
I used Wheaton movers to come over. I don't know if they can help you go back. They will do 1/2 and 1/4 containers, though.
Best of luck

 
At 2:32 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Ronica said...

PLEASE NOTE: if you put links in your comments, I will reject them. Blogger doesn't allow me to edit them. I know that they're probably fine, but I'm just making a rule, and sticking to it.

OK: here are the non-linky parts of the comments sent.

The guy next door has left a new comment on your post "Movers?":

No, the Musee de la mode is 107 rue de Rivoli, check the website (in french) REMOVED and the page about the Balenciaga exhibition REMOVED

OK, My response:

Every Wednesday (I picked up my girls at their modelage classes at 111 rue de Rivoli), I walked past 107 Rue de Rivoli and looked for a sign for this place. I saw lots of other things, but never this museum. However, I have read about the Museum of Fashion at Trocadero, and there are several websites on it as well. ParisDailyPhoto (blogspot) has a post about it, and if you google Musee and Mode and Trocadero, there's a site about it. (note, I am following my own rules! (:) If the Musee de Mode et Textile is at 107 rue de Rivoli, great and good luck finding it. I passed it about 50 times and never saw hide nor hair.

 
At 3:50 PM, August 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right, it's the Musee Galliera, musee de la mode de la ville de Paris but not the one where you can see the Balenciaga exhibition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home