Sunday, September 17, 2006

Finally!

We have internet, at home. And wireless. Amazing how it felt like the stone age when I don't have instant connection to the rest of the world, where just a few years ago (OK, maybe 15?) I didn't even have an email account. But, we are back up, and I'll slowly be catching up on my blogs, emails, comments, etc. and maybe I'll finally decide on a new name for my new blog. I love being Mrs. B, but there is more to me than that, after all. I'm waiting for the inspiration to hit me.

School/Work is going very well, and I'm getting organized, little by little. The kids are fantastic, and my friend is a great teacher, so they are enthusiastic, prepared and good musicians--it's kind of like stepping back into my own shoes (not to toot my own horn...) It makes it very fun and with much less stress than it could have been.

I'm still on the search for good bread (yes, I've enjoyed Madison Sourdough's multigrain, BTW--I wish they made baguettes!), but due to the tightness of my pants (I guess all that Parisian walking did add up), I am on the "More Broccoli, Less Bread" Diet. Not exactly Low-Carb or Zone (that was just exhausting, frankly), but more of an effort than I had to make in Paris.

We are slowly accumlating the important things (a new bed for Lucy in the living room, which she loves (she's a bit spoiled), and a salad spinner to replace the one we must have tossed in a moment of insanity--Dr. B splurged on the OXO one, and it is sweet!), but still have yet to find the toaster oven. (Oh well, no need to toast broccoli.)

"Lost" things are being found every day (clear glass party plates--located!) and we are starting to feel at home. We still have more boxes than we know what to do with, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and word has it that our french stuff was stuck in customs last week, which I hope means that it must be stateside, and we soon will be finding places for our new treasures, snuggling with our down comforter, taking pictures again and posting them on my Flickr, putting our clothes in drawers, knitting for winter and sewing new curtains from my Marché St. Pierre finds. And eventually (hopefully) hanging pictures on the walls and putting books in the new shelves we have to buy (there's always next month...)

Tonight, Dr. B made a pilgrimage to the west side for food and computer parts while I was eyeball-deep in scheduling, and came home with some french-type food treasures, so we enjoyed carottes rapées (with 2 types of french moutarde in the vinaigrette--homemade, of course), cornichons and a Côtes du Rhone rosé with dinner, and there rests an award-winning Wisconsin 5-year cheddar in the cheese drawer of the refrigerator.

Who says you can't have it all?


***Note: God has quite a sense of humor--they just started playing the Spice Girls' "If You Wanna Be My Lover" on the radio.

Yeah. So I guess this isn't heaven. Got it.


PS: Did you see this picture? I am so proud of her. She's going to be a great mom!

_________________________________________________

1 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, September 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you found some of your favorite french foods. Figured it wouldn't be a problem as we can find some things here also. As for the baguettes......look at it as a trade-off.....at least now you have a dryer with heat and don't have to live for days with laundry hanging in your living rm! Ha! B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home