Thursday, October 19, 2006

Butt-Scootin' Boogie!*

Well, I am still here, though not up on my feet yet. Dr. B is running around like a chicken with his head cut off doing everything for me and still working more than full time as a post doc. He's in training time, with 8 new students to get up to speed, and his research depends on their work, so he's a bit stressed. Combine that with the cooking, cleaning, laundry doing, dog walking, dog feeding, dog vet-taking-to (she has a rash), dog cream putting-on, carrying me food, water, juice, ice packs, my crutches, my school bag, my purse, my sweater, my pants, shirt, underwear, socks, helping me to get up stairs, into the bath, into the car, into school, driving me to school and from school, picking up things at the store, and all the other things on the agenda--well, let's just put it this way. He has a right to be crabby.

But, as usual, he's a darling, and still tells me he loves me and I'm beautiful and he wouldn't have it any other way. (There must be something in the water--I swear, I am NOT feeding him any drugs!)

The knee is getting a little stronger, though, and I am able to touch the foot down when brushing my teeth. I still can't straighten it, or put much weight on it, but I am feeling a little bit better and things are getting easier. Kids and staff at school are super helpful, and even brought me a wheelchair to use at one school (this has been awesome). Another friend sent a Cryo-Cuff, which allows me to change my own ice pack without getting up--wonderful!

And I have perfected the BSB*. This was a technique taught to me by Dr. Isabel, another researcher at Jeff's lab and his boss's wife, who also went through this (as did his boss. Seems to be very common.)

As we left the ER, we were met by Marc and Isabel, who came to check on me after the party, worried that I was really hurt. Isabel, in her adorable (yet sometimes difficult to discern) Spanish accent, told me, "I have something very important. You need to know this. It is the only way!"

"For the stairs! You sit. Then you use your arms and your other leg, and you push and go up one by one. On your butt. Lift your other leg up!!! It is hard, and it takes time, but it is the only way."

She's right. And I'm getting better at it. I can make it up the stairs without stopping for a rest now (first night I stopped for 3). The only hiccup is our front porch when it rains.

I guess that's why God invented junk mail.

_________________________________________________

2 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, October 20, 2006, Blogger PutYourFlareOn said...

The Butt Scootin' sounds like a good way to build up triceps! Glad to hear that your knee is doing better. And your husband is a keeper! :)

 
At 8:36 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

Ugh. I am totally sympathetic, because I too am on crutches. I had to go the butt route for the first few days, but it gets better. I promise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home