Friday, December 08, 2006

Did I feel the baby move?

Clinic visit #3 for three days--with the surgeon, physical therapy and the OBGYN, I've really become a regular. The surgeon says my knee looks, "great!" (though purple, yellow, pink, blue, swollen and misshapen are not my idea of knee-ly beauty). The pain is still pretty bad, and I'm pretty limited in mobility, but I'm getting ready for work to start again next week. The physical therapist had some great advice: "Do what you can, and push yourself a little, but not until you puke or can't sleep at night." Sounds reasonable to me.

Today we went to my OB, for my 14 week appointment. She was impressed to see me up and about so soon after surgery, and though Lemon said everything was great, she said, "well, how do you feel about it?" I knew I liked her.

She didn't admonish me for losing 6 lbs. since my last visit, knowing that surgery can be tough on the body, though I have a feeling she will if I don't start gaining in the next month. (Yes, I'm in my 4th month, and still wearing my normal jeans, buttoned. If you saw me, you would have no idea I was even pregnant. This will change.) Since my 'morning' sickness is back, she advised watching it carefully, and coming in for a bag of fluids if I just couldn't turn the corner and keep things down.

We heard the baby's heartbeat again, though it took a little longer to find it than the last few times. Dr. B grabbed my hand as the nurse searched, moving from left to center to right along my waistline. At last, we heard it. 150 beats/minute, right on target. We were both relieved.

I did have an important question for Dr. H.

"Last night, about 3 or 4 times, I felt a little twinge in my stomach. Is this normal?"

"Yes, completely."

"Just a twinge. Not a cramp. Almost felt like the baby did a flip or something."

She laughed. "That could be! It is possible."

"Either that, or gas, huh?"

"That, too. Could have just been gas. That's all too common in pregnancy."



Well, even so, I'm choosing to believe it was a flip.

_________________________________________________

2 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, December 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are right on target for recovery. Remember when Mom had her surgeries for hip and knee replacement and they had her up trying to walk the next morning. And she was in her 70's. Amazing! I know they feel the sooner you are up and moving the better. Kristi and Vicki hardly showed until they were 6 months pregnant....NOT ME! And if Kristi was viewed from the back you couldn't even tell. She made up for it during the last 2 months.At bedrest at 7mos...5 wks in hospital...she just laid there and got bigger and bigger. We all chuckled about it. And then she had Becca at 35 wks...Dr said good thing or B would have been to big for regular delivery. B at 35 wks was 7lbs 2 oz. Pretty good size for 5 wks early I remember Grampa Bob saying to me....are you sure you are only 6 months....your sister Vicki never got that big !! Yeah thanks Dad! ha!When I first felt Kristi move, I remember thinking it felt like a little twitch....it's an exciting time.....take care Auntie B

 
At 5:59 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger PutYourFlareOn said...

Of course it was the baby! Yay! The first time I felt the baby move was at your house on your couch! It was more than a twinge then, it was a thump. But I had been feeling those twinges before than and mistook them for gas.

And yes, do what Mage suggested, wake up Jeff when you feel the baby move. He'll be able to feel it soon too and just wait until you can *SEE* the baby move in your stomach. Talk about an alien moment! But still very awesome!

I'm so happy for you! Thanks for the update sounds like you and the baby are doing a-ok!

Miss you, hon!

Je t'embrasse tres fort!

Bises,
Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home