Monday, January 29, 2007

Madeleines: A Cookie Quest

(Posting this here for those who don't read my new blog...)
One day last summer, while at our local Parisian street market, I felt my morning croissant wear off. I was hungry and cranky, and had an extra euro in my pocket, so I chose a golden yellow madeleine along with my Sunday bread purchase from the good baker at the market.

I popped it in my mouth.

Then, I melted into a little puddle of gooey joy on the sidewalk.

It was delicate, light, tender. Buttery, sweet, and full of flavor. Unbelievable, indescribable flavor.

If I hadn't been married, I think I would have proposed to the boulanger.

When Flare visited us in November, she brought me a present that included a silicone madeleine pan, one of the things I forgot to get before we left la belle France.

Now, I am on the hunt for the right recipe to fill it. I tried Ina Garten's Coconut version, which despite its great reviews, was disappointing.

So I am asking. Begging. Please. If you have a recipe that will send me back to that dirty Parisian sidewalk, send it my way. As soon as you can. (Maybe it's a pregnancy craving? Whatever. I don't care.)

_________________________________________________

6 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, May 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon jour.
Have you gotten the recipe yet for the Madeleines?
Yes, you are correct. Ina Gartens' recipe is awful.
Please send me the recipe at
boomie@yahoo.com.

Mercie.

 
At 9:56 PM, May 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I too am searching for a wonderful Madeleine recipe. Please send recipe to me also when you find it at: e4health@aol.com

Mercie.

 
At 8:18 PM, June 01, 2007, Blogger healthgal said...

Hello again, I'm wondering if anyone is looking at these posts as there is no response. Hmmm very curious.

 
At 8:23 AM, June 02, 2007, Blogger Ronica said...

Estelle,

I am due to give birth in 5 days. I haven't been doing much baking!!!

Sorry!

Mrs. B in Paris

 
At 7:59 PM, June 02, 2007, Blogger healthgal said...

Oh my goodness Mrs. B I didn't know. Much luck to you as you bring another soul into this world. Let us know how you are doing.

Estelle

 
At 9:20 PM, June 02, 2007, Blogger Ronica said...

No problem! You may want to check out my current digs, my other blog, which I moved to when we moved back to the US. Not as much french stuff, but more current.

I'll let you know if I do find a good recipe! I have a good pan, a silcone one a friend brought from France. They don't stick--it's fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home